Hello curious businessman, I know you eagerly want to know how to sell on Etsy India. But before we go deep down into this let’s understand some brief points about the Etsy seller hub and the short key points of the Etsy company. Also here is the table of contents available, by which you can directly go to the part you want to know about.
- Did you know? Around 40% of Etsy buyers are repeat customers. And only around 60% will make a one-time purchase.
- Today Etsy became the home place name for that one-of-a-kind gift or a unique hand-crafted item that no one else has.
- Common Shoppers might not be aware of this platform, But Etsy is more popular among artisans for its easy-to-use platform and Shoppers who are in love with handmade, vintage goods (at least 20 years old) & uniquely crafted products. Although it sells clothing, face masks, personal accessories, and other products too.
- According to Statista, there are 7.4 million+ active sellers who sold goods through the Etsy platform across 234 countries in 2022 and around 2.16 million sellers joined Etsy in alone 2020. And most Etsy sellers are from the USA and 86% of Etsy sellers are Female.
- Also in 2022, Etsy have 92 million active buyers who purchased items through the Etsy platform and around 61 million were new and reactivated who joined Etsy as shoppers in 2020 alone.
- On Etsy, there are 50+ product categories (Homewares and Home Furnishing are the largest categories) & 60 million+ product listings are available on its marketplace. So, now you know the potential of becoming a Etsy seller and want to give your own brand an online identity then let’s understand how to become a seller on Etsy in this article of Bazaar Neeti. Let’s Go!
Benefits of Etsy Seller Hub:
- Unique Selling Proposition(USP): Unlike Amazon, eBay & Flipkart, Etsy has started focusing on highlighting artistic work, rather than commercially-made items. It means uniqueness and quality. Although it has around 50 categories including clothing, jewellery, bags, home décor, furniture, toys, etc.
- Sellers Guide: Etsy suggests its sellers sell face masks after the White House announced its Covid-19 guidelines. And this resulted in Etsy selling $346 million worth of masks. And on average 1,10,000 sellers were able to sell at least one mask.
- Customer Loyalty: Around 40% of Etsy buyers are repeat customers. And only around 60% will make a one-time purchase. Etsy has buyers from across the world who have more love with hand-crafted, vintage clothing, handmade jewellery, personalized gifts, pet gifts and accessories.
- Indian Etsy Sellers Support Network: Etsy has introduced a peer-to-peer support group that is created and managed by a team captain, and facilitated by Etsy admin to help and solve queries of sellers.
- Etsy Delivery Service For Indian Sellers: So, Etsy has partnered with Shiprocket Delivery Partners that has partnered with Blue Dart, Delhivery, Xpressbees and Ecom Express. The complete delivery process we will discuss in further separately.
- Analyze and Optimise your Shop: You can use the Etsy Seller app to manage orders, edit listings, and respond to buyers instantly, from anywhere. Access detailed stats about your shop’s performance to help you increase your sales.
In Case You Missed It: How to Become Meesho Seller
Who Can Become Etsy Seller?
Etsy allows all individual crafters, designers, individual sellers and also companies like Private Limited companies, Sole Proprietorship firms, Limited Liability partnerships and any other organization registered under any other Act or legislation. And they would have to register by providing some required product and business information to become eligible for Etsy selling.
How to Sell on Etsy India?
Although some mentioned requirements have not been clearly mentioned by Etsy. But if you have these documents and criteria you will be more preferable. Now follow these 12 simple and exact steps to become an Etsy seller:-
Documents Required for Etsy Seller India:
- Etsy doesn’t require sellers to have a business license to sell on Etsy. However, when selling on Etsy you’re required to follow any laws that apply to you as a small business selling online. If you have any questions regarding which laws apply to you, please contact a qualified professional.
- But you still may be required to have one in order to comply with local, state, or national laws, depending on your location.
- To Sell on Etsy you need the Import-Export Code with the Proprietorship Firm.
- Well GST is not mandatory yet to start selling on Etsy from India especially when you are a small seller. But yes on Etsy’s commission fees or selling fees, they started charging you an extra 18% as a GST from March 2023. But if you want to save 18% on the levied fees and you are a big seller who also sells on Amazon or Flipkart you can use the same GST on Etsy also.
- Set your shop location
- Name & Profile Picture
- BIO to be known in the community
Etsy Seller Registration India Process:
- Go to the Etsy Seller Login India Portal.
- Now here you will see a “Get Started” tab. Just click on it and enter your email address for starting Etsy seller registration in India.
- Then create your Etsy seller account by filling in your name and password.
- Click the “Sell on Etsy” at the upper right side of the page or “Open Your Etsy Shop”. Once you do this, you will be redirected to the page for submitting the required information to set up your Etsy shop.
- Then you will fill in:
- Shop Preferences
- Name your Shop
- Stock your shop
- How you’ll get paid
- Set up billing
In Shop Preferences, You will select your shop’s language, country, currency, and time commitment:-
- Shop language: The shop language you choose is the default language you use to describe your items. You won’t be able to change it later, but if you’d like to add translations in other languages, you will be able to enrol in other languages after opening your shop.
- Shop country: At first be sure to select the correct country for your shop.
- Shop currency: Choose the currency you will use to price your listings. But keep in your mind that currency conversion fees may apply if your bank’s currency is different from your shop currency.
- Time commitment: Select whether selling your products is your full-time job or part-time job. Don’t worry this question is for informational purposes only and will not affect the setup of your shop.
Name your Shop:
Here you should choose a memorable & catchy name that reflects your style. Also, your shop name must meet the following requirements:
- 4-20 characters in length
- No spaces or special characters
- No profanity
- Not already in use by an existing Etsy member
- Does not infringe on another’s trademark
Stock Your Shop:
Here you will add product listings to your shop. You don’t have to add all your listings yet! We will discuss Etsy Seller Product Listing in the next step.
How you’ll get paid & Set up Billing:
To get paid on Etsy, you need to connect your bank account to your Etsy shop.
From the How you’ll get paid page:
- Fill out your personal information.
- At the bottom of the page, select the country where your bank is located under Where is your bank located?
- Enter your bank account details. You’ll also be required to verify this information.
- Select Save and continue.
- Add a credit or debit card. (Shops based in Germany, Austria, or the Netherlands don’t need to add a credit or debit card.)
- Select Open your shop. Congratulations! Your Etsy shop is now live on Etsy.com. You can still add listings and make changes to your shop.
Read More: How to Sell on Amazon in India
How to List Products on Etsy?
Once you’ve completed all your shop sections, you are ready to start adding/listing products to your Etsy shop. Although you can access this complete information in more detail here on Etsy Product Listing Guide. To list an item in your Etsy shop follow these 3 steps:
- On Etsy.com, open Shop Manager. If you’re using the Etsy Seller app, tap Listings.
- Choose Listings. If you’re a new seller, Choose your shop.
- Select Add a Listing. On the Etsy Seller app, tap the + Create button. And then:
- Step 1: Add photos and video
- Step 2: Choose your thumbnail image
- Step 3: Add listing details
- Step 4: Describe your listing
- Step 5: Add your inventory and pricing
- Step 6: Set up shipping
- Step 7: Marketing
- Step 8: Publish or save your listing
♦ Now you can preview your listings, save them as a draft and finally publish it for your buyers.
Etsy Seller Fees:
Etsy believes that healthy marketplace dynamics create a win-win for all stakeholders. Etsy’s pricing is one of the examples of that philosophy. So, when you sell on Etsy, there are a few fees related to listing and selling an item. Well, you can check out the complete details here on Etsy Seller Fees Page. And these 3 major fees most sellers will need to know about:
- Listing fees are the fees you pay to list products for sale on Etsy. You’ll be charged a listing fee for each individual listing you post. The listing fee is a flat rate charge of $0.20 (₹17*) per listing. This fee is charged regardless of whether or not the item listed sells. The fee is automatically added to your payment account when you publish an item.
- Also here are some other types of listing fees including auto-renew sold, multi-quantity, and private listing fees.
Transaction fees are the fees Etsy collects when a customer/shopper makes a purchase from your shop. Unlike listing fees, transaction fees are only collected on listings that sell. Here are transaction fee basics:
- Etsy charges 6.5% of the total order amount in your designated listing currency.
- This fee applies to the total cost of the item, along with shipping and gift wrap (if you charge your customers for those). You will see the charges itemized separately on your Payment account.
- The transaction fee amount posts automatically to your Payment account.
Payment Processing Fees:
- Payment processing fees are a set rate plus a per cent of the total sale price of the item. This rate and percentage vary by country. The fees are taken from the item’s total sale price, including its shipping fees, and any applicable sales tax.
- Payment processing fees are charged on each transaction that uses Etsy Payments. These processing fees appear in your payment account and are deducted prior to deposit. They are in addition to Etsy’s transaction fees.
♦ Etsy Seller India Payments Fees:
Sellers in India are charged India Payments fees for the processing of domestic sales. Here are the official Etsy Payments For Sellers in India, check out this link to get in-depth knowledge about “How to Accept Payments as a Seller in India”.
- As an Etsy seller in India, you can enrol in India Payments to accept payments from buyers in India via local payment methods such as credit and debit cards, UPI and Net Banking. These payments are processed by a third-party provider, Razorpay. UPI and Net Banking are specific to India and not available to users in other countries.
- You can also accept payments from buyers outside of India with your PayPal account. All you have to do is make sure the PayPal email address is added to your Payment settings.
Etsy Delivery Services:
- If you sell from India, you may only use postage labels purchased through Etsy’s domestic Delivery Partner(s) (e.g. Shiprocket- Blue Dart, Delhivery, Xpressbess, Ecom Express), on the Platforms for the delivery of domestic orders within India, unless you or your item qualifies for an “Approved Delivery Exception”.
- You do not have to purchase a postage label on the Platforms for a domestic order if you or the order falls under one of the “Approved Delivery Exception” categories below, or as otherwise approved by Etsy in writing:
- Delivery Partner does not provide delivery coverage either to your or the buyer’s PIN location.
- The package’s weight and size exceed 25kg.
- The total cost (excluding postage costs) exceeds 50,000 INR.
- Item includes uncovered materials as outlined by the India Delivery Partner and/or applicable carrier (e.g., precious materials, stones, jewellery).*
- Item is delivered by seller’s approved third-party delivery partner.*
- Item is digital or custom digital.
- Sellers are responsible for packaging and dispatching their sold items to buyers. If you’re using a delivery or fulfilment service, please keep in mind that you are ultimately responsible for making sure that your buyers receive their orders. By selling on Etsy, you agree to:
- Provide an accurate “dispatches from” address.
- Specify your postage costs and processing times in your listings.
- Dispatch items promptly after they are sold. Prompt delivery means that you dispatch each item within 30 days of purchase unless you specify otherwise in your processing time or agree to a different delivery period with the buyer through Messages. Before you update your processing time for a specific order, you must first obtain your buyer’s consent.
- Comply with all local and international delivery and customs regulations for Shiprocket Delivery Partners.
- Dispatch to the address listed on the Etsy receipt.
- Mark the order as dispatched when you dispatch it or use a postage label purchased on Etsy, which automatically marks your order as dispatched. Remember that you may only mark an order as dispatched after you actually have dispatched it. When you mark an order as dispatched, the buyer will receive a notification.
- Charge an appropriate amount for postage.
- By entering tracking information or delivery confirmation on Etsy, you’re giving permission to Etsy to collect and share this data received from your chosen delivery company with the buyer.
Etsy Seller Payment Cycle:
- If you’re a new seller, by default your funds will be sent to your bank account weekly, every Monday. Also for the new seller, your first 90 days, your funds will generally be available for deposit 3 days after a sale. When the 90-day period ends, Etsy Payments orders will become available for deposit the next business day.
- Well, the Payment Date shall generally fall on Thursdays. With respect to sales made prior to the Monday of a given week, the Payment Date shall fall on the next Thursday (i.e. Thursday of the same business week). For sales made after Monday on a given week, the Payment Date shall be the Thursday of the following week, if the scheduled Payment Date falls on a non-business day.
- Also, it completely depends on you that you can view or change your deposit schedule: On “Etsy.com” ⇒ Click “Shop Manager”.
Etsy Seller India Support:
- So, Etsy has created an “Indian Etsy Sellers Support Network” community/group that is created and managed by a team captain, and facilitated by Etsy admin. This team page will serve as a source of helpful seller education resources, inspiring conversations and positive vibes! Etsy admins will check in to give updates and broadcast Etsy-conducted community activities, which you’ll often find as pinned posts for quick reference.
- But keep in your mind that this team page is not managed by the Etsy admin, so please use the contact support feature in your Shop Manager if you have questions about your shop or account.
Etsy Seller Customer Care Number:
As we have researched Etsy has not mentioned any contact number neither for sellers nor for customers. But you can go through the below-mentioned process to contact the Etsy team and solve your query as a seller or a customer:
- First, make sure you have signed in to your Etsy account to contact Etsy Support.
- To contact Etsy’s customer service, select the Contact support button below and Etsy can help you with account, shop, or purchasing issues.
- They’ll connect you with the type of support that’s the best fit for your specific question: chat, phone, or email.
- You can use the contact support feature in your Shop Manager if you have questions about your shop or account.
How to Increase Sales on Etsy:
So, there is a very famous quote by Rob Kalin, co-founder of Etsy;
“The last 10% it takes to launch something takes as much energy as the first 90%.”
Here we share 10 effective ways to increase your sales on Etsy:
- Use Relevant Keyword-rich Titles & Description
- Use High-quality Images
- Use Varieties of Products Listing
- Stock up your inventory
- Good packaging
- Competitive Pricing
- Better Deals & Discounts
- Reduce Shipping Cost
- Deliver on time
- Keep customer delight a priority
Etsy Tools to Boost Your Sales:
Etsy tools have made for sellers to spend less time managing their shop and more time on the fun stuff. It also offers paid powerful marketing tools to build a strong brand.
- Manage Your Business Anywhere: Use the Etsy Seller app to manage orders, edit listings, and respond to buyers instantly, from anywhere.
- Accept Payments Seamlessly: Attract more buyers on Etsy and beyond with Promoted Listings and free social media tools.
- Analyze & Optimise Your Shop: Access detailed stats about your shop’s performance to help you increase your sales.
- Grow Your Following: Etsy tools take the guesswork out of crafting the perfect posts for Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
- Boost Your Visibility: Reach millions of shoppers on and off Etsy with its advertising tools: Etsy Ads and Offsite Ads. With Etsy Ads, your listings are more visible in Etsy searches. With Offsite Ads, they’ll pay to advertise your listings on sites like Google, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Bing. When you make a sale from those ads, you pay an advertising fee for that sale.
- Attract New Customers: Create a sale or coupon to catch the eye of shoppers or reach them right in their inboxes with a targeted offer.
Etsy’s 2 Seller Services:
Everything you need to start, manage and grow a creative business. No additional monthly charge.
An expanded set of tools to help jump-start growth and express your brand at ₹ 826 a month.
♦ Etsy Paid Plus Service For Sellers:
Stand Out with NewWays to Customise Your Shop:
Take control of your shop’s look with customisable options, including new banner templates and featured listing options that put your products in the spotlight.
Tell Shoppers Your Items are Back in Stock:
Don’t lose a sale because of a sold-out item. Email interested shoppers when the item’s back in stock and see which listings are most popular so you can plan your inventory.
Send Customers to Your Own Web Address:
Save 50% on a custom .com address or get a .store address for free for a year. It’ll add polish to business cards and make it easier for customers to find your Etsy shop.
Bonus listing and advertising credits:
Get 15 listing credits and ₹ 413 in credit to advertise your items with Etsy Ads each month.
By considering all these above points, I guess you got all the answers for how to sell on Etsy India. Selling on Etsy can be profitable yet tricky. An Etsy seller needs to do research, put in the effort and have the patience to identify the full potential of their e-commerce store on the platform. And undoubtedly it will be a robust way to grow your offline business that growth might be limited in the physical world and give it a new identity in the online world. And if you work with all the hard work and dedication and take care of every aspect, from registering to the product listing to cash handling, you definitely will succeed. Good luck!
Q. How much does it cost to sell in Etsy?
Ans. Etsy charges a listing fee and a transaction fee for every item you sell on the Etsy platform. And if you look closely at how much Etsy charges per sale, you’ll find that you will pay $0.20 (₹17) for each item you list, and a 6.5% transaction fee for every sale.
Q. Why is Etsy India so expensive?
Ans. So, when we compare Etsy with other major e-commerce giants, Etsy fees in marketing and advertising are a bit high. But it completely depends upon the seller. If he/she wants good visibility, bonus listing, shop customization, etc then they will pay. Because in the end the cost a seller will bear they can expect a good return on investments.
Q. Is Etsy used in India?
Ans. Of course. Whether you are a seller or a buyer, you can use Etsy in India to sell and also a customer can buy products from Etsy.
Q. What is an Etsy seller?
Ans. Each item on Etsy is listed and sold by a seller who creates handmade items or curates vintage or craft supply goods.
Q. Etsy Seller Registration?
Ans. Go to the Etsy Seller Login India Portal. Now here you will see a “Get Started” tab. Just click on it and enter your email address for starting Etsy seller registration in India. Then create your Etsy seller account by filling in your name and password. Then under “Open Your Etsy Shop” you will fill in:
- Shop Preferences
- Name your Shop
- Stock your shop
- How you’ll get paid
- Set up billing
Q. How to Become an Etsy Seller?
Ans. To become an Etsy seller first you need some documents like GST (Not Necessary but Demandable), Import-Export Code, Shop Location, Name & Profile, Bio, etc. Then you have to register yourself as a seller on Etsy, adding payment methods, then you will list your products on Etsy and do sell and make your customers happy. And all these processes we have covered in detail in this article.
Q. Does Etsy require GST in India?
Ans. Local tax regulations require Etsy to collect 18% of goods and services taxes (GST) on all seller fees you pay. To reduce your tax burden, Etsy will highly recommend all sellers register and provide their GSTIN to Etsy. Also, we have discussed how you can save your 18% GST as a seller.
Q. Can I sell in Etsy from India?
Ans. Of course Yes. Etsy charges per sale, you’ll find that you will pay $0.20 (₹17) for each item you list, and a 6.5% transaction fee for every sale. Also, it has partnered with Shiprocket delivery partners for product delivery in India. And we have discussed the complete details in this article.
Q. How much does Etsy charge for seller in India?
Ans. Etsy charges per sale, you’ll find that you will pay $0.20 (₹17) for each item you list, and a 6.5% transaction fee for every sale
Q. How much can you earn from Etsy India?
Ans. As an Etsy seller, one can easily make ₹20,000 to more than ₹1 lakh per month. But you have to be passionate to grow your online business on Etsy and should comply with the rules of Etsy.
Q. Do you need a business license to sell on Etsy in India?
Ans. So, as we have researched Etsy itself does not require sellers to have a business license, you still may be required to have one in order to comply with local, state, or national laws, depending on your location.
Q. Does Etsy take care of shipping in India?
Ans. If you sell from India to the extent applicable, the India Shipping Terms apply to you, and if there is an inconsistency between this Etsy Shipping Policy and the India Shipping Terms, for sellers domiciled in India, the India Shipping Terms will take precedence that we have discussed in this article.
Q. How much is the listing fee on Etsy?
Ans. The listing fee is a flat rate charge of $0.20 USD (₹17) per listing. This fee is charged regardless of whether or not the item listed sells.